Now that we are beginning to see some winter weather, we want to provide this overview of how we communicate with you when severe weather or dangerous road conditions prompt the CDA School District and HFCS to close school or delay the start of the school day. I just got off the phone with Scott Maben, CDA Public Schools Director of Communications. He was very helpful providing guidance and information for HFCS.
With regards to weather related school closures, we abide by the decisions made by CDA Public Schools. Information regarding closures will be posted on their Twitter & Facebook pages by 5:30 am, if the schools will be closed. Their Closure Hotline is 208-667-0784. If CDA Public Schools are closed due to weather, we will be closed as well. At times, they may ask for a 2 hour delay. That delay will never be on a Monday. If the weather is severe on a Monday, they will immediately go to closure – no delay will be invoked.
The safety of students and employees is our top priority in our decision-making process and that of CDA Public Schools. On days when we expect severe weather such as freezing rain, especially heavy snowfall or high winds, CDA will evaluate road conditions and forecasts early in the morning (between 3 and 4 am). CDA considers the ability of school buses to operate safely, as well as general driving conditions for students, parents/guardians and school staff. Other safety considerations include students who may walk to school or wait at bus stops in frigid or hazardous weather.
CDA balances these factors with other safety considerations. For example, a school closure may leave some students at home with no adult supervision. For others, school may be the warmest and safest place to be. We understand the impact a school closure or delayed start can have on families. Please know that each potential closure decision is weighed thoughtfully with careful consideration for the safety of our entire school community, and based on the best information we have available.
When we experience severe weather or hazardous road conditions, a CDA District team will assess current conditions and immediate weather forecasts early in the morning. Any change in normal operations will be announced before 6 a.m. CDA will only announce when we have a closure or a delayed start; we will not announce that we are open as scheduled.
How to learn of a school closure or a 2-hour delayed start:
- You may receive an email and/or text message from us. We use contact information listed for parents and guardians in our Rediker Portal – please ensure your information is up to date..
- If you’ve downloaded the mobile app for Coeur d’Alene Public Schools, you will find their announcement under Notifications.
- CDA will also post announcements of closures and delayed starts on the District and school websites. HFCS will text families.
- Check the CDA Public School District social media feeds: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. As soon as possible HFCS will post to our Twitter & Facebook accounts as well.
- Call the CDA Public School District Closure Hotline at 208-667-0784.
- Announcements are reported by local news media, including KREM, KXLY and KHQ morning news programs.
Again, if you do not see a closure or delayed start announcement, that means we are open as usual.
Visit this link to learn more about weather closures.
I hope this information helps you to plan your day. At this point in time, no decision has been made regarding Thursday, January 6th. However, weather reports indicate that we may be in for some severe conditions. Please be alert and stay safe.
Pax et Bonum,